Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Cinnamon scrolls

Cinnamon scrolls
This isn't a recipe from the Basic Cook Book, but it is an amalgamation of a few different recipes into one. I decided to make mini cinnamon scrolls for my son to take to school today for his class's end of term party. He was asked to bring something sweet, so rather than make cupcakes or slice, I figured scrolls was something a bit different that probably wouldn't be a double up of something that was already there.

Rolled dough with butter, sugar and cinnamon topping
I used Lailah's 900g jumbo white loaf recipe for the bread base. I considered using the sweet dough recipe, but since the scrolls were going to be loaded with sugar, butter, cinnamon and then drizzled with icing sugar, they would be sweet enough! So I made up a batch of the dough, allowed it to rest for the first 15 minute prove in a bowl over a thermoserver filled with hot tap water. I then split the dough into two, and rolled them out into a rectangle, with the dough being about 4mm thick. Once I had got a nice rectangular shape, I spread over 30g of soft butter over each, sprinkled each with 50g of brown sugar, then sprinkled over approximately 1.5 teaspoons of cinnamon over it. I rubbed it all in with my hand to incorporate it, then rolled them tightly into a sausage.

Cutting scrolls with string
I find a great way to cut scrolls so they end up with a nice flat top and stay in a rounded shape is to use some sort of string. You could use nylon kitchen string, fishing line or in my case dental floss! I actually used mint flavoured because that was what I had, but I promise you the flavour of the mint isn't detectable on the finished product! I really should buy some plain floss though to keep for such occasions!

Nice flat cuts
I placed the mini scrolls quite closely in the tray so when they rose they would butt up against each other and form a sort of pull-apart. I put the scrolls into a warmed oven (on the lowest setting - or if you have a defrost/dough rising setting that is perfect). Once they had doubled in size (approximately one hour depending on the warmth of the lowest setting of the oven) I removed them, heated the oven up for 10 minutes to 180℃ and cooked them for 20 minutes. Once they were nicely browned and hollow sounding when tapped, I removed them from the oven and put them straight onto a cooling rack. I always remove my bread products as soon as they come out of the oven or they continue to make steam and it will make the bread go soggy.


Once they were cooled, I made up a quick icing mixture - just using pure icing sugar and a splash of milk. I didn't bother using the thermomix for this, since I only wanted a small amount. I drizzled it over the scrolls with a spoon and they were good to go! Luckily there wasn't enough space on the plates so I got to keep a few for us at home!

Happy thermomixing!
Baked scrolls



No comments:

Post a Comment