Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Mongolian lamb hot pot


Mongolian lamb hot pot
This is one of those meals I tried when I first got my thermomix, loved it, and then forgot about it because there were so many other meals I wanted to try. I think I had looked at it a few times since in the recipe book, but because I usually look at the total recipe time, the 3 hours 25 minutes put me off. It is always a good idea to actually have a quick read through the recipe though, because most of that time is just marinating the meat in the fridge, and the actual cooking time is very minimal. Overall the active time is quite short at the end.

I marinated my meat for an hour. I found this plenty of time for the flavours to infuse and the vinegar to tenderise the meat. I used lean lamb that was already diced, so I skipped the step of freezing it first and then slicing into strips. Since it doesn't require much cooking time, it doesn't fall apart much at all, so you still end up with chunks of meat at the end.

I added the sauces in the quantities suggested, even the sambal oelek, so I was a little worried it would be too hot for the kids, but on tasting it, it wasn't too spicy for them at all. I just gave them mainly meat and not too much sauce so they wouldn't get too much chilli at once. If I was cooking this meal just for the adults, I would probably add an extra half tablespoon of sambal oelek to it.

The lamb was lovely and tender. I was trying to get the meal cooked quite quickly, so I did cook the rice in the microwave so I didn't have to wait for the thermomix to be free. Although I have just read of a way the rice can be cooked in the thermoserver, so I might give this a go next time we have rice.

I also steamed my broccoli over water on the stove because the mongolian lamb hot pot isn't really on long enough or high enough heat to give off enough steam to cook the broccoli.

Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment