Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Cornmeat, vege & parsley sauce

Cornmeat, vege & parsley sauce
Tonight I had a break from cooking from the Basic Cook Book and tried a recipe that I had been meaning to make for quite a while, but just hadn't got around to doing yet. I mainly wanted to try it because there have been a few errors with the TM5s when cooking something for an extended period on the varoma temperature. I wanted to see if it happened to my machine, so I could get it fixed under warranty if it did. There is still a good 18 months to go before my warranty finishes so I will have plenty of time to test it out again just to be sure.

This recipe is from the Thermomumma blog, and can be found here. The best thing about the cornmeat recipe, is that it is all done in the thermomix, with layered cooking, then the meat and vegetables are kept warm in the thermoserver while the sauce is made at the end. No piles of saucepans and steamers to clean at the end.

Cornmeat before cooking
The piece of meat I had weighed 1.2kg, so I cooked it for the 90 minutes suggested in the recipe. At the 90 minute mark, I added the potatoes to the simmering basket, and also added a little bit more water so that the potatoes would cook in the water and not just steam, in order to give them a bit of flavour from the cooking liquid.

Once the next 15 minutes was up, I added the carrots and the cauliflower to the varoma dish, and cooked these for 12 minutes, adding the broccoli to the dish halfway through this time. I prefer the vegetables not to be too soft, and this worked out perfectly.
Steamed cornmeat and vege

Once the meat and vegetables were finished cooking, i placed them all into the thermoserver to keep warm. The potatoes didn't fit, so I put the simmering basket on top of the thermoserver lid and draped a tea towel over the simmering basket, so the potatoes stayed warm as well while I made the sauce.
Cooked potatoes in simmering basket
The sauce was really easy to make - and the end result was delicious! I love this sauce! It would be fantastic to make for other dishes - steamed chicken perhaps.
Parsley sauce
Overall, the cornmeat was lovely and tender, the potatoes had taken on flavour from the cooking liquid, and the sauce gave a little bit extra to the entire meal - especially the steamed vegetables (lets face it, they can be a little boring on their own!). This recipe is well worth a try.

Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment