Saturday, June 27, 2015

Thick yoghurt


Thick yoghurt
I like to experiment with different yoghurt recipes. I had forgotten to save some of my last batch of yoghurt for my next starter, so I ended up buying a small 170g tub of "5am" organic vanilla bean yoghurt to use as my starter. I had found a recipe for a double batch of yoghurt on the recipe community, and this was the brand they suggested, so I thought I would give it a go.

I didn't actually want to make a double batch of yoghurt, purely because I like to store my yoghurt in the easiyo container in the fridge so it doesn't take up too much space. I made half the amount of the recipe, but this was still too much to use the easiyo to set it in. I used my thermoserver instead, and prewarmed it, then wrapped it in a blanket overnight.

Another change I made was adding some milk powder. I added half a cup, as this usually helps to make it even thicker. I love really thick yoghurt.

For the cooling down of the milk, I poured the heated milk into my thermoserver and left the lid off, then put it in the fridge. After an hour I took it out of the fridge, scooped off the skin that had formed and poured it back into my tm bowl. The temperature was pretty much perfect for adding my starter (5am yoghurt). I added the entire tub (170g) then poured it back into the thermoserver and wrapped it up and left it overnight. It would have been in there for around 11 hours.

This morning the yoghurt was nicely set, so I popped the thermoserver into the fridge to cool down. This afternoon we tried it out, and it was delicious! Beautiful, thick and creamy yoghurt, with just the right amount of sweetness. Not tart at all. I'm looking forward to using it tomorrow for topping my CADA for breakfast!

Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment