Saturday, June 27, 2015

Basil pesto

Basil pesto
I had a bit of a busy day on Thursday, which is usually my day off. I did an extra shift at work, then went to pick my son up, so I didn't have my lunch until 2pm. Leftover Aussie meat pie and tomato ketchup! Gotta love leftovers! Then it was school pick up time, we went to visit my sister and nephews, and on the way home I had to collect my shopping order from woolies. I got stuck on the freeway in traffic (going towards the city? go figure...) so it was already 5pm by the time I got to the supermarket. I collected the shopping, got it all the way out to the car, and realised they had given me some incorrect items. So I had to go all the way back and swap them to save me going back to the shops again. So by the time I got home it was almost 5.30pm. I unpacked the shopping while I reheated the kids' dinner then had to think about making something for me and hubby....

I had some basil leftover from last week and also some new basil I had just picked up. I get the living basil they sell in woolies now, so it lasts me the whole week. I have tried growing herbs myself, but I forget to water them and they die haha!!!

I hadn't made the pesto before so I wasn't sure how much it would make. I was just planning on using it for spaghetti. I grated the amount of cheese that the recipe listed. Then when i picked off the basil leaves I realised I didn't have enough for the whole recipe. I had already added the pine nuts though, so I just used what I had. I only added 100g of the oil because I didn't have enough basil leaves.

Spaghetti pesto
It turned out pretty good. It was a bit runnier that the picture in the Basic Cook Book, but this worked out okay in the end, making it easier to mix through the cooked spaghetti. All up, the dinner took me 10 minutes to cook. Brilliant!

Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment