Monday, June 1, 2015

Whipped cream


I made whipped cream for the filling of both my son's birthday cake (see yesterday's post for Too easy chocolate cake), and also for the sweet buns with cream and jam filling.

One word of warning if you have never made whipped cream in the thermomix - don't walk away from the machine! The cream can whip in as little as 10 seconds. I found this out the hard way the first time I was making whipped cream for some scones I had made, and ended up with a batch of butter. Oops!!!

It depends on the freshness of the cream used as to how quickly it whips to the consistency you are after. I wanted quite firm whipped cream as I was piping it into the sweet buns and needed it to hold its shape. It ended up taking 50 seconds for this batch to whip to the stage I wanted it. This is how it should look in the bowl at that stage:

Whipped cream
I spread some over the cake and put the rest into a piping bag. I usually make my cream ahead of time and put it into a bowl or piping bag and store it in the fridge ready for piping just before serving.

Whipped cream in sweet buns
Another thing I usually do is add icing sugar to the cream to flavour it a little bit. I used 300ml of cream for this batch, so I added 3 heaped tablespoons of icing sugar. Sometimes I will add some vanilla paste as well (also made in the thermomix, the recipe I use for it can be found here), usually a teaspoon to about 300ml of cream.

Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment