Monday, June 1, 2015

Hungarian goulash and mashed potato



I was taking my son to a friend's birthday party this afternoon, so I made the Hungarian goulash earlier in the day and put it in the fridge to be reheated.

The dish is fairly easy to make, the only things that need cutting up are the onions, tomatoes and capsicum. I did have whole pieces of chuck steak but that easy enough to cut up. I probably cut the pieces a bit too small, as the meat broke up a bit too much once it was cooked. I love that it just does its own thing for an hour once its all in there (aside from the capsicum which only goes in for the last 5 minutes).

I found the thickness of the dish was okay at the end of the hour of cooking, so I didn't bother adding the flour and water to it. It thickened up a little bit more while it was in the fridge too.

Hungarian goulash
When we got home I peeled the potatoes to make some thermie mash. I don't usually make the full recipe, 1kg of mashed potato is too much for 2 adults and 2 young kids, so I do approximately 500g of potatoes and halve the amount of milk. Although I did accidentally put in the full amount of milk, and had to pour some out. Almost had a thermofail!!

The potatoes were just cooked by the end of the 25 minutes. I have found in the past that sometimes it needs a little longer depending on the type of potatoes used. The end result when it was mashed was really good.

Mashed potato


Overall I was happy with the meal. We have plenty of leftovers too, which I will reheat tomorrow night and maybe serve with some polenta or rice.

Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment