Sunday, August 30, 2015

Skinnymixers LCHF chicken kiev and beetroot salad

Skinnymixers LCHF chicken kiev and beetroot salad
I have been meaning to make this recipe for quite a while, but just hadn't got around to it. I had some chicken in the fridge that needed to be used up by today, and since it was Sunday and we didn't have anything planned, I decided to have a go. The recipe can be found on the Skinnymixers blog site here.

The recipe is really easy to follow. It has three components - the coating, the herb butter filling, and the chicken. I was a bit concerned about frying the chicken in a pan, because I have a tendency to burn things when I get distracted by cleaning the kitchen.
Chicken mixture 

Once you have all the parts ready, they need to be assembled. It is important to make sure that the chicken covers the herb butter evenly, or they will spring a leak as they do their second cook in the oven. The last thing you want is to lose all that butter goodness onto the baking tray!
Chicken mixture after blitzing

I fried them in olive oil on a medium heat, for a few minutes on each side. They were only just brown. I was pretty pleased with that, as usually I would end up with burnt bits. It then goes into the oven to finish cooking. It is quite quick to cook, because the chicken is relatively thin on the outside, despite the entire kiev looking quite thick. Remember there is a big wad of herb butter in the middle so the centre doesn't need to be cooked.
Adding the herb butter filling

I was pretty happy with the outcome, only a couple of them leaked a little bit. They turned a lovely golden brown and had a nice flow of herb butter flowing out of it when I sliced it open.
After coating is added

I served the kievs with a beetroot salad. This is the one that is in the Basic Cook Book. I have been making it a bit lately - at demos! But I hadn't actually had it myself at home, so I thought I should probably try what I am feeding people at demos!

Its a lovely fresh salad, and the lemon juice and oil creates a little bit of a dressing through it. I put the salad on top of a bed of baby spinach leaves, so the leaves got a little bit of the salad dressing on them too.

Happy thermomixing!


No comments:

Post a Comment