Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Cornish pasties

Cornish pasties
One of the best things for me since owning a Thermomix is that I have finally, after 35 years, made pastry! The Thermomix makes it so easy to do - no rubbing the butter into the flour, the blades do all the work and save so much mess! It is just so easy and foolproof! So tonight I decided to make the Cornish pasties from Something for Everyone by Louise Fulton Keats.
Pastry
To make the Cornish pasties, the pastry is made first, then left to rest in the fridge for a while. Once it is in the fridge, the filling is made. First all the vegetables get chopped, then put into a separate bowl. Then the meat is minced in two batches. I love making mince from pieces of meat - it makes it so easy to avoid all the extra fat that you get in shop bough mince.

Rolled pastry and filling
Once this is done it all gets combined in the bowl and the sauce and flour added. I did add a little bit of salt and pepper to the mixture, although this was not listed in the ingredients. I found that the recipe made quite a bit of mixture - I did use about 100g more meat though, and maybe my vegetables were a bit bigger. I only ended up needing to use about half of the mixture, so I just froze the rest for another time. Be mindful if you do this - the meat isn't cooked, so if it has been frozen and defrosted you won't be able to freeze it again. Mine was fresh, so I could put it in the freezer.

I divided the pastry into 10, which was about 65g each. I rolled them into rustic circles, filled with a bit of meat mixture and then pinched them together. Once they were all done and brushed with egg, in the oven they went. A mere thirty minutes late - delicious Cornish pasties! So delicious in fact that my oldest son ended up eating three of them!
Cooked pasties

The size of the pasties are quite good for young kids. If your children are older or you are just making this for adults, I would perhaps make five large pasties out of the mix and serve with more steamed vegetables or salad.

Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment