Sunday, August 9, 2015

Layered chicken dinner

Layered chicken dinner
This meal is a little bit like the chicken veloute meal - 2 courses, with a soup to start then the chicken and vegetables and a gravy. It is in the new book, Everyday cooking for Thermomix families, available as a book and also a recipe chip.

I made a few small adjustments to the recipe along the way, but only to use the herbs I had in my cupboard. Along with herbs and spices in the recipe, I added a couple of tablespoons of YIAH Aussie Roast spice blend. Once the herb mixture was combined I rubbed it all over the chicken, and that part of the recipe was done.
YIAH spice blend and oil

For the soup, I used YIAH intense garlic olive oil, to give it an extra garlic kick. It smelled fantastic as it was sautéing. I used a jarrah pumpkin, because I didn't really want to spend $7 on a butternut pumpkin!
Pumpkin soup

The chicken steams as the soup cooks for the first part of the recipe. The potatoes and carrots are then added to the varoma to steam for the final part of cooking the chicken. Once those are done, the recipe instructs you to put the chicken into the oven. I prefer crispy skin on my chicken though, so I put it on an oven tray, along with the potatoes and carrots that I had tossed in the varoma to cover them in the herb and spice mix that had fallen off the chicken. I then put it in the oven on 200℃ while I blitzed the soup, put the soup in the thermoserver and then started making the gravy.
Chicken and vegetables after steaming

The green vegetables steam above the gravy as it is near the end of cooking/thickening. At this stage the chicken and vegetables in the oven were nicely browned so I turned the oven down to keep it warm.

When I served the soup I added a sprinkling of YIAH Queen of the Nile dukkah to the top of it.
Complete meal

This was a great dinner, and one I will definitely do again. The chicken is lovely and moist because it has been steamed, and the soup was really delicious. This was the first time I have made a gravy in the Thermomix, and probably the first time I have made a gravy without using packet gravy powder! I was really happy with the outcome.

Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment