Monday, August 10, 2015

Beef stew with buttermilk dumplings

Beef stew with buttermilk dumplings
Another winning meal tonight, from the new book Everyday cooking for Thermomix families. The beef stew, with buttermilk dumplings. This is a longer cook meal, so best done on an afternoon when you can start dinner early. I began cooking at around 4.20pm and it was done by 6pm. The good thing about it though is that you put it on and mostly leave it to its own devices, only having to fiddle around with it when making the dumplings and adding the stew ingredients.

One change I would make to this next time is chopping the parsley before making the dumpling dough. I found that there was a bit of excess buttermilk and flour mixture in the bowl that was a bit too sticky. The instructions state, without washing the bowl, to continue on to chop the parsley. The parsley then ends up with flour and buttermilk through it. I would rather chop the parsley in a  clean bowl, and either  make the dumplings with bits of parsley through, or give the bowl a quick rinse if you have family members with aversions to green bits!

I didn't have enough garlic cloves for the stew, so I used YIAH intense garlic olive oil to sauté the onions and garlic. I then also added a little bit of YIAH herb and garlic dip mix to the stew mixture. The stew does its own thing for 45 minutes, then the dumplings are added onto the bowl in the varoma to cook.

I loved the dumplings! They tasted a lot like the ones I remember my mum making. Yum! I haven't had them in a long time. The kids really enjoyed them too. Due to having the issue with the buttermilk and raw flour mixed through my chopped parsley, I topped the dumplings with a bit of extra YIAH herb and garlic dip mix.

This is a great dinner and definitely one I would do again.

Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment