Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Broccoli Salad

Broccoli Salad
I'm back! It has been quite a while since I posted, having gotten a little sidetracked by life - family, work, my Thermomix business, going on a cruise holiday (so much fun), Christmas - the list goes on! I also had a little mishap with our computer dying when we returned from holidays, which is where I had my list of meals I had blogged from the Basic Cook Book. I have finally got around to replacing my computer, and ended up having to manually go through the blog to re-do my spreadsheet to see where I was up to. So, here I am!

I have also started a new way of eating - the 5:2 diet, or intermittent fasting. It involves eating 500 calories only 2 days of the week, and eating normally the rest of the week. Today just happened to be a fasting day. I usually try to drink water, tea, coffee and a miso soup through the day and save the majority of my calories until dinner. I had some leftover zucchini slice in the fridge, so decided to have that for dinner. It was only 192 calories for  slice, so I decided I would have a salad on the side. I had a broccoli in the fridge, so thought it was high time that I made the broccoli salad from the Basic Cook Book.

This is a very similar method to the beetroot salad and coleslaw (which if you have ever been to a Thermomix or two, you probably would have tried). All the ingredients get chopped into Thermomix sized chunks (pretty much small enough to fit through the hole in the lid - no need to get too fancy!). Add the yoghurt, lemon juice and seasonings and mere seconds later, you are done.

Ingredients before chopping

The salad was surprisingly tasty. I'm not really a huge fan of broccoli, but I will suffer through it because I know it is very good for you. However, I was quite happy with the raw broccoli in the salad. Mixed with the other ingredients and the light dressing, it had a lovely flavour. And so low in calories, I was well under my calories for the day.

I will definitely be doing this one again. Its a great salad to have in your repertoire when you need to whip something up quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment