Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Yoghurt cake

Since I have made mainly savoury/dinner meals from the BCB so far, I thought I should make something from the baking section. I had all the ingredients for the yoghurt cake, and I hadn't made it before, so I thought I would give it a go this afternoon.
Lemon zest

To zest the lemon, I used a potato peeler to peel the yellow skin from the rind, then I spread it out on a plate and put it in the freezer while I gathered the rest of the ingredients together. It really only needs about 5 minutes just to freeze slightly. I find this makes the zest a lot finer. After about 5 minutes, I got the rind from the freezer, turned the thermomix onto speed 10 and dropped the pieces of lemon rind through the hole in the lid. I left in running for about 10 seconds until most of it had been chopped up. I then scraped the sides down with the spatula and then did about 5 or so turbo blasts of 1 second each to get any of the larger pieces. This made quite a rough zest. I then added the sugar to the bowl and milled them together as per the recipe.

Sugar and lemon zest after milling

I used my bundt cake tin. It is probably a little bit smaller than the one suggested, so as you can see by the picture, it rose a little bit too much. I was actually going to try keeping some of the batter and try steaming some cupcakes in the varoma, just to test it out and see how it turned out. The batter filled the bundt tin to about 1.5cm from the top, and I didn't think it would rise as much as it did! Next time I will know to keep some aside and steam some cupcakes!

Yoghurt cake
Once the cake was cooled, I dusted it with icing sugar. To serve, I then made some lemon custard using the automated recipe, 3-4 serves and normal consistency. Before I started the recipe, I froze about half a lemon of zest, which I then grated in the thermomix as per the method above. Then I added the amount of sugar I wanted to use in the custard, and milled them together for about 10 seconds at speed 10. I then proceeded with the custard recipe, skipping the sugar step since it was already in the bowl. The result was a lovely, slightly lemony flavour. It went perfectly with the yoghurt cake.

Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment