Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Three grain blueberry (banana) and fig porridge

Three grain banana and fig porridge
I bought the new Something for Everyone Thermomix book, by Louise Fulton Keats last week, and also got a bunch of grains and seeds that are used often in recipes in the book. So this morning I decided to give the three grain porridge a go. I was only making it for myself, so I halved the recipe.

It does take a little longer than regular porridge, and is a little louder - chopping dried figs and milling the seeds. Then the rolled spelt and barley needs to be cooked together, before adding oats and cooking again.

I didn't get any fresh figs or blueberries, so I decided to add about half a chopped banana. I then used the remaining banana to garnish at the end.

The porridge was quite tasty - even though it didn't have any nuts, it had quite a nutty flavour. It was very filling - I couldn't finish the whole lot, since I had actually made 1.5 serves. It kept me going well into lunch time. The end result was a bit darker in colour than the picture in the recipe book. I'm not sure why - I guess it could be because I reduced the ingredients, but not the cooking time, or maybe because I used banana.

I will definitely make this again, and next time I see some fresh blueberries on sale I will get some and try it with those instead of banana.

No comments:

Post a Comment