Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Stewed rhubarb with apple and strawberries

Stewed rhubarb
I am not the biggest fan of rhubarb, and since it can be quite expensive, I hadn't tried this recipe up until today. Strawberries aren't quite in season yet either, so they are still nearly $4 a punnet. I only bought one punnet, which had been raided by the kids at some stage, there were a couple of not so nice ones in there, so by the time I had hulled the remaining strawberries, there was only 80g worth! To make up for that, I added in an extra apple. I had actually forgotten to buy green apples, so I had to use the red delicious I had in the fruit bowl. The oranges I got from our blood orange tree out the back.

I did my usual with the zest of the orange - peel it with a potato peeler and then drop through the lid while the blades are spinning on speed 10. I scraped the bowl down a couple of times and did a few 1.0 second turbos as well.

The apples I cut into quarters, with the skin on as specified in the recipe. I found they didn't break down that much, so next time I might chop them a little bit smaller. The rhubarb I cut into 2-3cm pieces. I ended up cooking the rhubarb and apple for the extra 2 minutes, just to see if the apple would soften a little more and break up with a spoon, but it still didn't so I just left it.

Once the stewed fruit was all cooked according to the instructions, I had a taste (don't forget to let it cool slightly!). It was quite delicious with only a very slight sour flavour.

I served some of the stewed rhubarb for dessert tonight, as a crumble, with some auto vanilla custard. The recipe from the crumble I got from the recipe community, just using the crumble portion of the recipe, which can be found here. I added seeds from half a vanilla pod to the custard before cooking, and also added the pod for extra flavour. It was quite a delicious dessert.
Stewed rhubarb with crumble and vanilla custard

The stewed rhubarb recipe makes quite a lot, so I have a lot left over for the next few days. I'm thinking it will go quite nicely with CADA and greek yoghurt for breakfast tomorrow morning. Yum!

Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment