Friday, July 17, 2015

Tuna and sweet potato logs

Tuna and sweet potato logs
These delicious morsels can be found in the Thermomix cookbook Something for Everyone, by Louise Fulton Keats. I decided to make these for the kids for dinner the other night. It was the day before shopping day so I had run out of meat/chicken to make for our dinner. I decided to use some laksa broth from the freezer and make a prawn laksa for myself and my husband. The kids don't like that sort of thing, so I did these logs for them instead.

The sweet potato and garlic are steamed and cooled, before continuing on with the recipe. So this is something you could do well before dinnertime if you wanted. Pop it into the thermomix while you do some housework and leave it to do its thing. Then it can go into the fridge until you are ready to make the mixture and form the logs.

I wasn't going to add the parsley to this, because if my youngest son sees green on his plate he refuses to eat whatever the greenery is in. However, I decided to add just a little bit, so I probably only used half the amount. Also, I chopped it a little with the knife, so when it was chopped with the parmesan, it ended up chopping the parsley so small it wasn't noticeable. So the flavour still ended up in there, he just had no idea he was eating it!

I also had a little mishap, and forgot to add the tuna when I was mixing the rest of the ingredients for the logs together. So I did have to do a second, shorter mix to combine the tuna into it. It still seemed to work ok, it was just a little smoother than the one in the book.
Quick and easy breadcrumbs

The forming of the logs took a little bit of time, and coating them was messy work. I ended up enlisting the husband to coat them in flour while I did the egg and breadcrumbs. I also found that I needed a little more breadcrumbs. They are so easy to make, this was not really an issue - about 5 seconds at speed 10 for a slice of wholemeal bread, and voila! you have breadcrumbs.

Coated logs before cooking

I am not much of a fryer of foods, so I accidentally burnt the first lot a little. They were still edible though, they weren't quite charcoal! Just very well done. I added a bit more oil than specified, because I was using a large frying pan.

I served the tuna and sweet potato logs with some of the tomato ketchup I made last week. The kids enjoyed these. I actually ended up eating three of them myself, and then couldn't eat all my laksa!

We had plenty of leftovers, which were lovely cold the next day too. These would be great to take on a picnic with a bit of herb mayonnaise.

Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment