Sunday, July 5, 2015

Prawn stir fry

Prawn stir fry
This recipe is another from Cooking for Me and You. I made it just for myself and my husband, and the kids had some pasta with bolognaise sauce that I had in the freezer.

This is the first time I had made a stir fry in the thermomix, and it was really quite easy. The prawns are marinated first in the sauce that is made up. I ended up using a pre-mixed chinese five spice powder I already had in the cupboard. While the prawns are marinating in the fridge, the rice gets cooked in the simmering basket, and part way through cooking the rice the vegetables are added on top in the varoma dish.

The vegetables and rice then get put into the thermoserver while the prawns are added back into the thermomix bowl to cook in the marinade. Once the prawns are cooked (they don't take very long at all), the vegetables and rice are added back in and mixed with the prawns and sauce for a few seconds to mix it all together. The recipe did mention straining out the sauce but I found that not much came out, so I just mixed it all together.

The overall outcome of the dish was great - the rice was just cooked, the vegetables still crisp enough for a stir fry, the prawns perfectly cooked. The sauce was really tasty, with just a little hint of chilli. If you like your chilli, then I would suggest leaving the seeds in them before adding them to the marinade at the start.

I did find that there was a bit too much rice for just two people. Next time I will probably do a bit less so there isn't as much left over. I did share the meal out equally between 2 serving bowls, but we both left a fair amount of it, as it was quite filling. The kids could probably have had some in the end, but I wasn't sure how spicy it would be.

Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment