Sunday, July 19, 2015

Skinnymixer's Chicken Biryani

Skinnymixer's chicken biryani
I have done most of the main meals in the Basic Cook Book now, so I have to start branching out a bit. I purchased the Skinnymixer's book, A Little Taste of India last week, so I wanted to try out some of the recipes this week. Butter chicken last night, and tonight chicken biryani.

Unfortunately I can't share the recipe, but the blog does have a vegetarian version, so you could just add any type of meat you like to that for a similar effect. You can find that recipe here.

whole spiced for curry powder
Quite a few of the recipes on the blog require Malaysian meat curry powder. This is available in most oriental stores, however I didn't get a chance to go to one today. I was very kindly pointed to a recipe on another blog, to make it at home in the Thermomix. If you have trouble finding the curry powder where you are, you can find the recipe here.
Malaysian meat curry powder

Once I had made the curry powder, the preparation of the biryani was very quick. It is an "all-in-one" dish, with the rice, chicken and vegetables cooking at the same time, then a quick sauce made at the end. It made a huge amount, so I have put a few containers into the freezer for lunches, and some in the fridge to have tomorrow night.
Rice after cooking

The flavours were really delicious, although I think next time I make it I might cut the chicken up a little more so it is a bit easier to spread through the rice. The rice takes on a really lovely colour from the turmeric, and the sauce was tasty. It wasn't overly hot for the kids either, which is always a bonus. They particularly liked the sultanas!

I will definitely cook this one again. It would be great for an Indian themed dinner party, especially if you do the vegetarian version, so it can be teamed up with other meat dishes. There is so much to go around.

Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment