Saturday, May 30, 2015

Spreadable butter

Spreadable butter - Quirky Cooking


I generally keep a small amount of butter out of the fridge for spreading on sandwiches. However, now that the weather is cooling down, even this is too firm to spread without ripping holes in my lovely, soft, homemade bread! So I decided to give spreadable butter a go.

I have the Thermomix cookbook "Quirky Cooking" by Jo Whitton, which has a recipe for spreadable butter, and this is what I have used this time. The reason I did this one, rather than the BCB version, is that last time I tried the BCB recipe I found it was still a bit too firm when stored in the fridge. Rather than try to play around with the amount of oil required, I figured I would give the Quirky recipe a go first. There is a similar recipe on the Quirky cooking website, which you can find here. I used store bought butter as I hadn't come across any cream on sale to make butter from scratch.

It was so quick and easy to make. I was surprised at how easily the oil and water combined with the butter. It was quite a runny consistency when it was first made, but I put it in the fridge overnight and it firmed up to a spreadable consistency. From the 230g of butter I got about 600g of spreadable butter.

Butter after combining
The oil I used to make it was grapeseed, as this was the lightest flavoured oil I had in my cupboard. You could use macadamia or avocado oil. Olive oil tends to be too strongly flavoured, so I would avoid using that.

Spreads perfectly
Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment