Friday, May 29, 2015

Bircher muesli

Bircher muesli with plain yoghurt

I am a big fan of bircher muesli, or overnight oats - anything that can be semi-prepared, or completely prepared the night before, and all that is left to do is make my coffee in the morning.

With this recipe, I only prepared the oats the night before, and left the rest for the morning. The remainder of the recipe required chopping nuts and fruit, which would have made a lot of noise, and the kids were already in bed when I remembered to make the oats last night. In hindsight, I could have measured out the ingredients and put them into a zip lock bag, so all that was needed in the morning was to tip it in and chop. It didn't take too long though.

I did change the fruit and nuts a little bit, to use what I had in the cupboard. I added dried apricots, a dried fig and cranberries. For the nuts I had almonds, cashews and walnuts.

I served the bircher muesli with a few dollops of the plain yoghurt I had separated yesterday from my fruit batch, and a fresh strawberry. It was a tasty breakfast, and because of the protein from the nuts it kept me full for ages. I work from 9am until 1pm most days, so I don't get a break to have something to eat. Usually I am ravenous by about 10am, and have to quickly eat a muesli bar or piece of fruit, but today I found I wasn't hungry at all, until I got home from work. Thankfully I had my leftover risotto to reheat! Yum!

I made half a batch of the bircher muesli because when I got up everyone else was already eating their breakfast. I stored the rest in a bowl in the fridge, and it looks like it has lasted pretty well - the apple hasn't browned, so I should be able to have the leftovers tomorrow morning. I will definitely be making this one again.

Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment