Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Pasta e Fagioli (Pasta & Beans)

I have often flicked past this one in the book, I'm not sure why, but I thought I would give it a go tonight. The ingredients required are quite minimal, and most of them would be things I would have in the cupboard or crisper, so its a great recipe for day before shopping day. The beans in the recipe are borlotti beans, but you could probably use cannelini beans if you didn't have any borlotti in the cupboard.

The start of the recipe requires grating parmesan and setting aside. I must say, I really love grating fresh parmesan cheese from the block. None of that horrible pre-grated smelly socks grated stuff. My dad actually thought he didn't like parmesan cheese because he had only ever had/smelled the nasty pre-grated one. He tried the freshly grated one when he came over one day, as he was trying a pasta I had made. Lo and behold, he actually does like parmesan!

Perfectly grated parmesan
I added quite a small chilli to the dish, and scraped out the seeds, since the kids were having this for dinner. When it came to adding the water, it did seem like an awful lot, considering the water isn't going to be drained at the end. But after cooking, and resting in the tm bowl for 5 minutes as suggested, the liquid thickened up quite a bit. One of the tips on the recipe was to add up to 500g of pasta, for a thicker sauce. I didn't really need that much pasta, so I used the 300g as stated in the original recipe.

Overall, I was quite happy with the result. Its a great recipe for those nights when you don't feel like pfaffing about with lots of different ingredients. It also has provided us with leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

Pasta e Fagioli


Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment