Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Beef Stroganoff

Every now and then I decide to skip a week of grocery shopping to try to use up food from the freezer/pantry/crisper and save a bit of money and avoid wastage. This is one of those weeks! It was a stew kind of day - so I went through the BCB and decided to try out the beef stroganoff. I have used numerous other recipes on the stove top in the past, and I always find that when I add the sour cream, even if i turn off the heat, it tends to split and looks really unappetising. The picture of the meal in the BCB looked lovely and smooth, so I thought I would give it a go.

I only had some beef rump, where the recipe called for beef tenderloin fillet. I figured it might work out okay, so I sliced it up and started the recipe. The longest part of the preparation of this dish was the slicing of the button mushrooms. I love that I don't need to dice up onions anymore, I am really sensitive to them and my eyes water for ages, so being able to peel the skin off, halve it and chuck it in the TM bowl is great. Just remember when you scrape down the sides, don't stick your head right over to see what you are doing! Otherwise your eyes will water a lot! I learnt this the hard way haha....

I got to the stage of adding all the ingredients and leaving it to cook. While this was happening I was able to clean up the majority of the dishes and put away the unused ingredients, so the kitchen was pretty tidy. This saves me a lot of time later on so I have more time to spend with the kids before bed for extra cuddles!

To my surprise, the end result of the dish was great! No splitting of the sour cream, first time ever. The sauce was really delicious. The meat was ok, some bits were a bit tough, so next time I will definitely use the suggested cut of meat in the recipe. I served it with mashed potato, which I made the old fashioned way on the stove, since the TM was making the stroganoff. I did this so it would all be ready at the same time, being a school night. It is easy though to pop the stroganoff in a preheated thermoserver while you make the mashed potato afterwards, if you had a bit more time.

Beef stroganoff


Happy thermomixing!

No comments:

Post a Comment